Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Week 2 Post-Break (2/9/19)

The second week back and after last week's 76 miles this was a decent 80. Slightly unexpected with a slow start to the week but a single triple day is quite handy for punching up the mileage and I was feeling particularly good over the weekend so managed to get a more substantive second run in on the Saturday than I was originally planning.

Towards the end of the week I had a good km session with the Ravens where I started relatively easily but bashed out a good 6km in total. Through-out the session I was trying to remember my current mantra that the purpose is to do *something* fast but not to strain or push these sessions. On the last rep my achilles was just starting to feel the work so I'm glad I kept it at that level. Nice working with Arif as well as he keeps a good steady pace.

Saturday was my 50th Parkrun. Now, 50 isn't a big milestone for many but given my first Parkrun was in February 2010 this has been a long time coming! My attendance at them hasn't been great and its only recently I've started to feel a real community at Nonsuch which has meant I've been doing them more regularly this year. It's such a good way to get a nice early run in with folks.

As a tempo effort it left something to be desired though. Realistically I wanted to get about 8 miles of threshold in this week but what with having to distribute prosecco and Colin the Caterpillar cake after my parkrun that wasn't going to be feasible. Reading up about how the Ingebritsens often do double session days to split the threshold work into two, I decided to give it a shot and do a very relaxed tempo session in the afternoon with Kev.

On the grass, I didn't fuss and we started the 5 x 6 minutes very easily at mid 6:30s and gradually progressed down to sub 6s. Nothing ground-breaking but it felt really good and honestly less fatiguing than I think a  5 mile death shuffle might have been which was the alternative.

It worked well and I think that I'll be incorporating more of that into my schedule.

Sunday was very hungover and I had a proper temper tantrum with about 4 miles to go as my feet were sore and I was *done* (that should be bolded). This was entirely Martin's fault as I had bought a bottle of lucozade at 10 miles and he was meant to drink half of it but didn't want to so I'd had to drink it all myself so was feeling a bit sick as well.

When it started to come up I decided to stop by the side of the road, give my feet a good rub and then get going again after a good 5 minutes. Luckily Martin didn't object too much.

Monday Morning: 5 miles at 9:33mm - Easy in with Rob, 1198 BPM.
Monday Evening: 3 miles at 9:55mm - Easy plod home - love a good plod, 1340 BPM.

Tuesday Morning: 4 miles at 8:10mm - Little bit of tempo as Rob went to the wrong meeting place, 1104 BPM.

Wednesday Lunch: 3 miles at 8:27mm - Aborted run - left achilles struggling in Zoom Fly, 1126 BPM.

Wednesday Evening: 7 miles at 9:11mm - Hour very easy, 1228 BPM.

Thursday Lunch: 7 miles at 7:27mm - 6 reps of a km on a 5 minute loop - 3:35, 3:28, 3:26, 3:22, 3:19, 3:21, 1143 BPM.
Thursday Evening: 4 miles at 9:33mm - Easy home after long day at work, 1308 BPM.

Friday Morning: 6 miles at 9:17mm - Easy in with Bob - bonus loop of Morden Hall Park, 1187 BPM.
Friday Lunch: 8 miles at 7:51mm - Ravens Lunch run - 2 runs out of 3 done. Just a shuffle home now!, 1165 BPM.
Friday Evening: 3 miles at 10:15mm - Shuffle home for run number 3, 1350 BPM.

Saturday Morning: 5 miles at 7:01mm - Warm up, 5k tempo @ 5:46mm, warm down, 1059 BPM.
Saturday Evening: 9 miles at 7:26mm - 5 x 6 minutes thresholdy off 1 minute jog, 1095 BPM.

Sunday Morning: 16 miles at 8:11mm - Hungover long run post Rogers Nuptials, 1146 BPM.

Totals: 80.2 miles, 11 hours and 15 minutes (675), average pace = 8:25mm

So - all in all, a very good week. Nice to see a low BPM figure for the threshold work on Saturday at 1059 BPM. Things are progressing well.

This week the aim is to keep the mileage high and build up the threshold work a bit further.

No comments:

Bryn Running

Training diary and musings on running in general.